Fall Activities For Seniors Around Chicago
It’s important for everyone to get out of the home occasionally to see something different and to have some fun. It’s especially good to help seniors enjoy one or more outings in the autumn before winter weather conditions make outings unpleasant, extra difficult, or even dangerous. Fortunately there are many fall activities for seniors to enjoy around Chicago!
An enjoyable movie, play, concert, food festival, or a visit to a park or special exhibit can be a refreshing event that fills your loved one with happy memories throughout the coming months.
Seniors can enjoy outings with an adult family member, friend or a Personal Care Services provider. Either way, the outing can be even more special if it is shared with grandchildren.
Below is a sampling of the many activities for seniors available this Fall that could make a wonderful day for an elderly loved one.
Autumn is a lovely time to enjoy nature. Here are a few special activities for seniors:
- Shedd Aquarium, where “animals connect you to the living world, inspiring you to make a difference.
- Enjoy the sunshine through the leaves and look for the Fall colors at the Morton Arboretum, a 1,700 acre living museum that “champions trees throughout the world through scientific study, conservation and outreach.”
- A special treat for seniors with grandkids is the exhibit, “Nature Connects®: Art with LEGO® bricks by Sean Kenney” at the Morton Arboretum, where “464,770 LEGO bricks + 4,170 hours of creativity = 13 larger-than-life sculptures.
September and October are full of festivals, fairs, and ethnic celebrations, filled with food, music, movies, and fun-are perfect activities for seniors alone, or with their grandkids. Everything from Jewish comedy, romantic musicals, Peter Pan, and circuses, to film festivals and ethnic food festivals, to beer/wine/whiskey tastings, and everything in between. Find details for September and October activities.
There are a number of Performing Arts venues with wheelchair access, ranging from orchestras and operas, to theatres and folk music:
- Concerts, recitals, and activities at Old Town School of Folk Music.
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s schedule.
- North Shore Center for the Performing Arts runs Funnyman (a world premier play set in 1959) numerous times throughout September and October.
- For September and October, Lyric Opera of Chicago is performing The Marriage of Figaro and Cinderella.
- The Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University’s fall lineup includes the Billy Strayhorm Festival, the colorful Ballet Folklorico de Mexico celebrating their 63rd anniversary, a cabaret concert by Branden James, Millennials (ballet), and a special performance by River North Dance Chicago in honor of Artistic Director Frank Chaves’ retirement.
- Scootaround Wheelchair & Scooter Rentals (888-441-7575) provides a wide range of mobility solutions and rents mobility scooters, wheelchairs, and powerchairs. Reserve in advance with the option to choose pickup locations at the convention center, a special event venue or your hotel.
- Open Taxis 855-928-1010 is the centralized dispatch service for all Chicago Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAV). Minivans are equipped with ramps, wheelchair securements, and shoulder seat belts. Call the toll free number 855-WAV-1010 or the direct line 773-657-3006 for immediate pickup or to schedule a pickup time.
Or, if you just prefer to have someone else handling the driving, there are senior transportation services that can get you safely to and from activities for seniors around Chicago.
If you need assistance making arrangements, or want someone to help your loved one through an entire outing, our skilled and friendly personal caregivers would be happy to help, as much or as little as you like–everything from helping the senior get dressed and into a vehicle, driving for them, holding their hand for balance or pushing their wheelchair; opening doors and helping find the way, to just being good company and getting your loved one safely back home. It would be our pleasure to help you or your loved one enjoy a special outing.
Seniors often have many difficulties and limitations, but life can seem a little more golden with a few special activities along with someone to help make them happen. At Home and Hearth Caregivers, we can find the perfect outing to suit your loved one’s special interests and needs. We can help make a lasting and truly fond memory for them that they will want to talk about in the months or years ahead.