In-Home Care in La Grange IL Makes the Holidays Brighter – and Safer – for Seniors
Even though the yuletide season is usually thought of as a time that is joyous, full of visiting those who are nearest and dearest and purchasing gifts, for seniors, it can be anything but merry and bright. A combination of lost loved ones, memories of holidays past, health problems and more can impact seniors with emotions of loneliness and sadness.
At Home & Hearth Caregivers, we care deeply about helping seniors feel included in the festivities and to enjoy the holidays to the fullest. These recommendations might help everyone enjoy the joy and wonder of the holiday season together:
- Create a cookbook with recipes from all family members. Compile all the recipes, and then make copies of your new “family cookbook.”
- Take a drive to enjoy holiday lights. Perhaps it is possible to visit an old neighborhood that your senior family member has memories of.
- If your elderly family member has difficulty moving around to set up holiday decorations, offer to help! This can be a great way to share memories of past holidays and what different decorations may mean. Home & Hearth Caregivers can also offer assistance with holiday decorating.
- For a holiday that is really relaxing, plan time together at a local beauty shop or spa. You could even arrange for a local beautician or masseuse to visit the home if it’s possible.
Safety concerns may also come into play for your senior loved one, for a number of reasons: increased fall risks with all of the extra holiday décor, difficulty sticking to a prescribed dietary plan, and for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia, disruption to routine, additional visitors to the home, and heightened noise levels can all cause distress.
Keep the following in mind to be sure your senior loved ones remain safe and content:
- Keep decoration safety in mind. Make sure there are clear walking paths, and try to use simple, non-cluttered decorations.
- Dim lighting can hide things that seniors could trip over, such as, for instance, extension cords.
- Consider designating a quiet area for the senior if the excitement of children, loud music and activities become overwhelming.
- Assign someone to be the senior’s “buddy” for the day, ensuring his or her needs are fully met and creating a bond that is wonderful for both.
The holidays can certainly be fun and relaxing for all. With just a little pre-planning and extra thought, older household members will enjoy the holidays as much as everybody else, producing new memories that the whole family will treasure for a lifetime.
And, if in the midst of the holiday hustle and bustle you could use the help of a family-like senior caregiver in the LaGrange, IL area, Home & Hearth Caregivers is here to help! Give us a call at 800-349-0663 to learn more about our in home care services in La Grange IL and find out how we could brighten the holidays for you and yours.