Home & Hearth’s Top Holiday Safety Tips for Seniors
The holiday season presents a specific chance for you to spend some designated, quality time with a senior loved one. Additionally, it is a really good time to make sure that your senior loved one’s holiday is safe along with being festive. Regardless of whether your senior loved one is enjoying the season in your house or his or her own, considering these safety guidelines can make certain that everyone’s holiday is happy and bright.
In the senior’s home, or your own if he or she will be spending some time there:
- Use basic decorations that will not create clutter. Always be sure that there is ample space to walk.
- Keep extension cords away from walking paths to protect against stumbling over them.
- Instead of candles, use bright centerpieces of flowers or fruit, or select battery-powered candles.
While bright holiday lights are lovely, be sure to keep these tips in mind when older individuals are nearby:
- Be sure that all areas of the home are properly lit. Dim holiday lighting can cover up fall dangers and make it hard to see around household furnishings.
- Add a nightlight in the bathroom and bedroom the senior will be using and make sure light switches are easy to access.
With all the holiday decorations, falling hazards can become a problem for older adults during the holiday season, so make sure to:
- Keep floors clutter-free.
- Keep outside sidewalks clear.
- Arrange furniture so everyone can freely move around it.
- Place non-slip pads underneath rugs.
- Keep active family pets from roughhousing while the senior is walking throughout the home.
- Identify a special out-of-the-way area for kids to play with their new toys while the senior is visiting.
It’s crucial to understand the special care needs of older individuals during the holiday season in order to make their home, or visits to your home, fun and safe. If you’d like more information on home alterations to help make holidays safer for seniors, or any other in home care services, contact the Chicago area home care experts at Home & Hearth Caregivers. We can provide a safety evaluation to assure the home is as safe as possible for your senior loved one, advise on adaptations, and provide a full range of in home care services. You can reach us any time through our online form or by calling 800-349-0663.