Senior Holiday Events Around Chicago
Most adults enjoy getting out and going places. They enjoy seeing and doing things. But, as a person ages and becomes more sensitive to cooler weather or needs help with moving around or traveling, they may be hesitant to get out. Unfortunately, this often results in becoming reluctant to partake in activities they have previously enjoyed.
However, the numerous senior holiday events around Chicago are the perfect opportunity to encourage your loved one to get out of the house and enjoy the season. Many seniors can still get a good deal of pleasure out of seeing festive lights and holiday shows, especially if they have someone to share them with.
With a little research and planning, a perfect outing can be arranged to meet the needs and interests of almost any senior. You will see it’s totally worth the extra effort as they talk about it over and over again as time goes on.
Senior Holiday Events Around Chicago Your Senior Might Love
Here are some places and events that can enliven any senior’s day, lift their spirits, and fill the coming winter months with cheerful memories of good times:
- Christmas Around the World and Holidays of Light: See over fifty Christmas trees decorated by volunteers from Chicago communities to represent their various cultures and holiday traditions, and learn about celebrations around the world, at the Museum of Science and Industry – (773) 684-1414
- Wonderland Express at the Chicago Botanic Garden: See an amazing model railroad with a million twinkling lights, running through miniature versions of some of Chicago’s best loved landmarks. Tickets are reasonable, and they are half-priced on Tuesdays! Call (847) 835-5440 if you need more information.
- Many seniors like to do things early in the day, so how about taking a grandchild to see Santa Claus over breakfast or brunch? Here are some locations for “2015 Chicago Area Breakfasts With Santa and More.“
- It gets dark early enough now that your senior with a wheelchair can enjoy a ride through the fabulous holiday light displays at some of area the zoos, and still be home for an early bedtime:
- Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly is an organization with a Chicago Chapter that provides friendship for seniors and they offer special holiday activities– in “party” groups or personalized home visits for your loved one. You may contact them at (312) 455-1000.
There are literally hundreds of senior holiday events around Chicago including special theater and stage presentations, movies, exhibits, shopping and dining, as well as other holiday-centered activities.
When You Or Your Senior Need A Little More Help Getting Out And About
If you don’t have time to take your senior out personally, see if a friend, child, grandchild, or other relative can share the experience with them. The time together will make the outing all the more pleasurable and memorable. But if family and friends are too few or too busy, you can make sure your senior is not stuck at home during this holiday season by engaging one of our experienced professional caregivers to take them on an outing for you. Our caregivers will get them to their destination and safely home again, helping with doors, stairs, seating, reading signs and menus and keeping them company along the way. Our caregivers are capable, responsible and sensitive to your senior’s physical and emotional needs. We are always eager to help create the best possible moments and the most wonderful memories.
Plus, if you need help finding the right outing for your senior loved one, we would be happy to help with the research, arrangements. Contact us to learn how we can make your Holiday a little more enjoyable!