How to Use Daily Activities to Determine Which In Home Care Services Are Needed
It can be human nature to deny that we are in need of help, although we really do. This can be typical especially of seniors, who may not want to confess they need help doing the daily activities that used to be a snap but now are becoming more difficult. For loved ones, this can make noticing that an older adult requires help harder to identify. The encouraging news is that there are resources that can help family members and others better recognize when a senior needs help.
Regardless of whether you are planning long-term care for yourself or a family member, there is a classic assessment test called the Lawton Instrumental Activities of Daily Living Scale that explains how to determine care needs for older adults. However, anyone can use the following list of daily activities to help outline in home care services.
- Ability to use a telephone: The ability to use the phone is a crucial function for older adults to continue being connected to others and call for help in the event of an emergency. If the older adult can use a telephone, look up phone numbers, and dial a couple familiar numbers, it’s a good indication that he or she can connect with loved ones on the phone and call for assistance in an emergency. Conversely, if a senior can only answer the telephone, but not dial, or cannot use a phone at all, this indicates that he or she will have a need for assistance when using the phone to connect with others or call for help. Not recalling how to use a telephone can also point to cognitive decline that will most likely show up in a senior being unable to complete other straightforward tasks.
- Shopping: Depending on mobility, some seniors might be able to shop for themselves if transportation is provided, while others might need someone to walk with them throughout the store. More frail seniors might need another person to shop for them completely and deliver it to them at home.
- Food preparation: Appropriate nutrition is essential for older adults, and you might notice that your loved ones are not receiving the nutrients they need from the daily meals they cook for themselves, or that they really are not fixing meals at all. If this is the case, they might require support with preparing food. Check the refrigerator and the cupboards to take notice of whether food is being taken out and prepared, or if it is remaining in the same location for long periods of time.
- Housekeeping: Everyday household chores can be a challenge for frail older adults, who have a more difficult time lifting, bending, and moving around. This is an area where many home care clients have a need for assistance to maintain upkeep of their homes.
- Medication responsibilities: A certain amount of memory loss is typical with growing older, so many seniors feel the need to receive medication reminders. For seniors with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, this assistance is especially crucial.
Older adults and their loved ones will probably find that, as they age, the need for assistance in many areas of daily living will increase. At Home & Hearth Caregivers in IL, we provide personal care services like bathing and grooming as well as housework and errands for every client who requests them. Call us today at 800-349-0663 for more information about our home care services in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.