Which Is Better: In-Home Care for Seniors or Nursing Home Care?
Home is where the heart is, and most seniors’ hearts are set on remaining at home throughout the aging process, rather than moving to an assisted living facility or nursing home – nearly 90% of them, according to AARP. And who can blame them? Feeling comfortable in familiar surroundings, having the independence to come and go as you desire, experiencing the freedom to choose whatever meals you want, and eat them whenever and wherever you want – these abilities are simply priceless.
But although it sounds like the perfect plan for aging, there are some real concerns to be thought through as well:
- Will the senior be safe with in-home care?
- How will he or she get around when driving, or even walking, becomes difficult?
- What happens if the senior becomes ill or injured and no one’s nearby to help?
Thankfully, it’s now easier than ever for older adults to stay safe and well cared for at home. These tips can help you take the necessary steps to ensure your senior loved one is prepared for these and other needs, now and in the years to come:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the perspective of the senior’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are in place near the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other tripping hazards are removed.
- There’s plenty of lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a prominent location.
- Put together a transportation plan, so it will be ready to implement when driving is no longer an option:
- Look into public transportation options that are available and easily accessible.
- Brainstorm a list of trusted people the senior can contact for transportation when needed: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Home & Hearth Caregivers, etc.
- Make sure the senior has technology available that can be used in an emergency to call for help, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
The best way to ensure seniors remain safe and well cared for however, is by hiring a professional agency that offers in-home care for seniors, such as Home & Hearth Caregivers. Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in providing personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, and companionship, and more, and are available for as much or as little care as needed.
We begin by putting together a personalized care plan to meet the senior’s specific needs and desires, and then monitor that plan ongoing and modify as needs change – making sure that the senior is always safe and able to live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: right at home. Contact us at 800-349-0663 to learn more about our trusted Illinois in-home care for seniors.